According to a newspaper clipping dated January 28, 1947, “An auxiliary and several circles of St. Paul’s Catholic Church were organized at a meeting held at the Parish hall Monday afternoon.” Father C.J. Murphy, Pastor, outlined the objectives for the organization and the Parish. He asked for cooperation in raising funds to build a school. A Board of Directors was elected for the organization and by-laws were on the agenda.
In the next year the “Guild” expanded its activities to include a clothing drive for Europe and representatives were sent to the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine Conference.
In 1949, the Guild voted to become affiliated with the National Council of Catholic Women. As the membership grew, more projects became possible. These included comfort bags for the VA Hospital, sponsorship of a Brownie Troop, layettes for Catholic Charities and in 1952 the organization began sponsoring monthly suppers in the Parish.
By 1965, the women of the Council were assembling before Mass on the first Sunday of the month to recite the Rosary and Circles had taken on the names of Saints instead of being designated by numbers. Fundraising was also in full swing with a Christmas Bazaar, raffles, card parties and rummage sales.
Today, St. Paul’s Council of Catholic Women (“CCW”) continues many of these practices. The Rosary devotion has moved to the first Saturday of the month and the PTA has taken over many of the responsibilities for the school, but the Circles continue in their works of love.
Our St. Paul’s CCW consists on average of 140 members. It is through the hard work and dedication of all our members, that we have become such an important part of St. Paul’s Family. Because of our members’ busy schedules, we hold two General Membership Dinners during the year, in October and April. Currently our dues are $12.00 and are collected each April, for the upcoming council year. These dues, though small, reach far and wide to help support many charitable organizations in and around the beaches community.
CCW offers a voice for women, a sense of belonging, spiritual growth and a service oriented atmosphere. All ladies of the Parish are welcome.